What are rodents?
Rodents are mammals, and some rodents like mice and rats have a close relationship with people and our structures. These critters have learned to move into our homes and businesses to survive and have become our uninvited roommates.
With the help of their sharp front incisors, rodents have become one of the most problematic and destructive pests to invade our California properties. There are thousands of species of rodents living worldwide, but in our area, the following are regular visitors to our residential and commercial properties:
- The Norway rat is a large clumsy brown rat that lives mainly at ground level.
- The roof rat is a light, agile black rat that prefers to live and nest up off the ground.
- House mice are small oval-shaped rodents that are brown or black and regularly make themselves at home inside our homes.
- Field mice prefer to live in open areas. These small mice have fur on the topside of their body that is light to dark reddish-brown, and white fur on their underside, legs, and feet.
While they might seem cute and cuddly, gophers, ground squirrels and voles can create lasting, costly problems for homes they infest. Gophers and voles can destroy a beautiful lawn, while ground squirrels can wreak havoc around fences and hard services like driveways, foundations and gardens. Don’t leave your property at risk for wildlife problems: call ProServ for help. Whether it’s gophers, squirrels, or other rodents that have made their way into your home, ProServ specializes in getting them out quickly, clean, and effectively. While we’re able to eliminate ground squirrels, gophers, and voles using traditional methods, we are now introducing an Eco-Friendly treatment to eliminate these critters without using any harsh chemicals or baits. With our carbon-monoxide treatment it eliminates the rodents quickly without any effects on the environment.
Contact us today for your free estimate!
Are rodents dangerous?
Rodents are not only unpleasant to have in our homes, but they are also dangerous. Rats and mice spread more than 35 diseases that can make people ill, that combined with the parasites they have living in their fur and the bacteria they have on their bodies, make them something we don’t want to share our homes with.
Another big issue with mice and rats in our homes is that they cause extensive damage by chewing on things like wires, cables, flooring, walls, cabinets, and furniture. It is not uncommon for short circuits, fires, and water damage to result from a rodent infestation. Rodents will also quickly contaminate food and surfaces inside any home or living area with their excrement, urine, and saliva.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Rodents view our homes and yards as a haven, someplace they can safely live and forage for food. Its quiet, dark spaces offer excellent nesting spots and places like gardens, trash cans, and kitchens, provide reliable food sources. Rodents want to live with us because we provide them with their basic food, water, and shelter needs.
Where will I find rodents?
Roof rats prefer to live up off the ground, nesting in fruit trees, woodpiles, and dense shrubbery. After moving indoors, roof eaves, ceiling rafters, and attics are some of their favorite nesting spots.
Norway rats live outside in fields, farmlands, along riverbanks, and under concrete slabs and woodpiles. Norway rats move inside at the ground level, usually through foundations or vents, and live inside basements, crawl spaces, and behind walls voids.
House mice nest in dense vegetation, tall grass, tree stumps, woodpiles, construction debris, and outdoor structures like playhouses, sheds, and garages. Mice are agile climbers and move into our homes through any opening they discover, often ending up in our attics, basements, storage boxes, closets, and cabinets.
Field mice are most problematic in yards and homes near parks, fields, and other open spaces. When they find their way into our homes, they nest in the same areas as house mice.
How do I get rid of rodents?
Rodents are some of the most common and frustrating pests that California home and business owners deal with. At ProServ Pest Management, we understand the rodent behavior and habits and will provide you with the effective services needed to maintain a rodent-free property.
Our professionals train continuously and use only the best products, ensuring that you are always receiving top-notch services! We design our pest control solutions to meet the unique needs of home and business owners located in and around Sacramento, CA. If you would like to learn more about eliminating rodents from your home or business once and for all, call us today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
- Remove food from your property that will attract rodents like bird feeders, leftover pet food, leftover food in outdoor eating areas.
- Keep locking lids on outdoor trash containers and recycling bins.
- Inside your home, keep food in the fridge or airtight, hard-sided containers.
- Regularly vacuum your floors and upholstered furniture to remove stray crumbs.
- Cut shrubs, bushes, and tree limbs away from your home’s exterior.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Place covers over vents leading into your home.
- Seal cracks and fill in openings you find in your foundation and along the roofline.