What are cockroaches?
Cockroaches are scavenging insects that mostly live outside well away from people, helping to eliminate decaying animal and plant matter from the habitats they live in. However, a handful of species have become structural pests that regularly find their way into our California homes and businesses.
The cockroach has an oval, flattened body, long antennae, and six spine covered legs. Most are dark in color. In our region of California, the following cockroaches are most likely to become a problem on either a residential or commercial property:
- Brown-banded cockroach
- German cockroach
- Field cockroach
- American cockroach
- Turkistan cockroach
- Oriental cockroach
Are cockroaches dangerous?
We can say with absolute certainty that cockroaches are not creatures you want living in your home for any period. Cockroaches are problematic and dangerous for many different reasons, including the following:
- Cockroaches carry numerous diseases they can transmit to people.
- They spread bacteria and parasites.
- Cockroaches contaminate food and surfaces.
- Their excrement and shed skin trigger allergies.
- Cockroaches are a factor in young children developing asthma.
- Cockroaches create unpleasant odors that can affect the taste of food.
- The presence of cockroaches makes you feel unwelcome in your own home.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Cockroaches can become a problem inside any home or business but are especially prevalent in urban areas where dense numbers of buildings provide them with ample access to their basic needs of food, water, and shelter.
You will find cockroaches wherever there are food and water available. Trash cans, sewers, garden areas, pet food bowls, and outdoor eating areas provide cockroaches with food sources.
Underlying water issues like leaky pipes or fixtures or poor drainage also attract cockroaches.
Cockroaches are good climbers and can crawl up building surfaces, finding their way inside on their own through any cracks or crevices they find. Their flat bodies and flexible exoskeletons allow them to move through the smallest of openings. Cockroaches also regularly move into different structures through sewers and drains or are introduced inside things like boxes, deliveries, potted plants, furniture, appliances, and even electronics.
Where will I find cockroaches?
Cockroaches living inside our homes hide in dark, damp areas during the day. Basements, kitchens, attic spaces, and bathrooms are some of their favorite hangouts.
Some specific areas where we often find household-invading cockroaches congregating include the following:
- Cabinets and drawers
- Behind wooden trim
- Wall voids
- Behind large appliances
- Under sinks
- In cardboard boxes
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
There is no reason for cockroaches to ever be in your California home or business. At the first signs of these pests, it is important to reach out for help. At ProServ Pest Management, our highly trained and experienced professionals will provide you with the services needed to eliminate these dangerous pests from your home completely.
Using the latest pest control products, methods, and technologies, we work closely with our customers to ensure your pest problems are solved! If you would like to learn more about eliminating cockroaches from your Sacramento property, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
- Limit entry points by sealing any gaps or cracks in your foundation and exterior walls.
- Make sure gutters are clear of debris and directing water away from your property.
- Place weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Ensure outdoor trash cans and compost bins have locking lids and you store them off the ground.
- Maintain a clean kitchen, regularly wash dishes, put away leftover food after eating, and regularly vacuum floors.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures.
- Always inspect boxes, deliveries, appliances, and furniture for cockroaches before bringing them into your house.