The Key To Effective Black Widow Control In Sacramento
July 15, 2021
Have you ever been caught off guard by a spider? These eight-legged pests have a way of sneaking up on people. They also can be incredibly dangerous. One species of spider that poses a real threat to homeowners is the black widow spider. If you don't know much about these dangerous arachnids and are looking for some tips and tricks to keep them out of your Sacramento home, we are here today to help.
How To Identify A Black Widow
The black widow is one of the most unique species of spiders in the world. Its black body, bulbous abdomen, and slim legs alone make them relatively easy to spot. It also helps that they have a red mark in the shape of an hourglass on the bottom of their abdomen. Other species of widow spiders look similar, however, some are different colors and have different markings.
The Dangers Of Black Widow Spiders
All spiders are venomous, however, most are harmless and pose little to no risk to human health. A bite from a black widow spider is dangerous and can cause many serious health risks in affected individuals. Basic symptoms include pain and swelling radiating from the location of the bite, severe stomach cramping, and sweating. Some individuals also suffer nausea, chills, and other more severe medical problems. If you are ever bitten by one of these pests, seek medical attention immediately to reduce the pain and your chances of severe symptoms which, on rare occasions, include death.
Some Practical Ways To Deter Black Widows
Black widow spiders invade homes to seek shelter and to hunt for other pests such as cockroaches, beetles, flies, etc. In order to deter these spiders from getting into your home, you have to address entry points and attractants that draw them in. This is done in a few different ways.
- Regularly cut your grass and trim your landscaping. With this, make sure that tree branches and shrubs are trimmed at least five feet from your home’s exterior.
- Remove clutter and debris from your yard and fill in any holes you find.
- Check your home’s exterior foundation for gaps, cracks, and holes. Seal these entry points using a caulking gun or some liquid cement. Do the same for spacing around window/door frames.
- Inspect your home’s window/door screens. Repair rips and tears you find and replace screens that are damaged beyond repair.
- Make sure that all doors leading out of your home have door sweeps attached beneath them.
- Keep unscreened doors and windows closed when they are not in use.
- Turn off exterior lights after the sun goes down or replace bulbs with ones that are insects resistant.
- Wipe down surfaces throughout your home, vacuum regularly, and be careful not to leave food and open beverages out in places where pest can gain access to them.
- After feeding your pets, pick up and clean out their food and water bowls.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers.
A Much Simpler Solution To Black Widow Spiders
Since black widow spiders invade to hunt for insects, arthropods, and other arachnids, the best way to prevent them is to invest in professional pest control. At Proserv Pest Management, we offer detailed general pest control options for residents in Sacramento. From detailed inspections to high-quality ongoing pest elimination services, our team has everything your property needs to combat annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests year-round.
Get a free quote today by giving us a call. We can help you find a pest control option that best fits your Sacramento home’s needs, one that guarantees black widows will stay outside where they belong.